Anxiety is a disorder that affects more than 20 million Americans. It can present as feelings of irrational fear, worry, and dread – or manifest physically with a racing heart, frantic thoughts and shortness of breath. Even without an anxiety disorder, many people struggle to manage stress in their personal and professional lives.
Relief of anxiety can be found in a variety of ways, including:
- lifestyle changes, such as diet and exercise
- supplements that are shown to help alleviate the symptoms
- pharmaceutical intervention
Finding the combination that works to ease your symptoms can take time; be patient with yourself if you’re struggling to find that balance.
Here are 7 natural supplements that research suggests can help treat symptoms. Talk to your health care practitioner about which ones will work best for you.
L-theanine is a unique amino acid found in the green tea plant. It supports mental calmness by increasing dopamine and GABA in the brain. It also assists the alpha brainwaves associated with relaxation, without any drowsiness. It can help manage stress levels, improve sleep quality, improve focus and awareness, and protect against adrenal gland damage.
- L-Theanine Liquid – this liquid form offers fast acting relaxation and stress support. Great addition to your water bottle or tea.
- L-theanine Capsules – studies suggest that it may also be useful in supporting concentration and in reducing negative side effects from caffeine
Magnesium’s beneficial effects on mood and stress are so well-known that its often referred to as “the chill pill.” It blocks the activity of stimulating neurotransmitters and binds to calming receptors. In addition, it helps to regulate the release of stress hormones like cortisol, acting like the brake on your body’s nervous system.
- Magnesium Glycinate – this form of magnesium is particularly helpful for restful sleep and is very gentle on the GI system.
- Magnesium Taurate – calming, neuroprotective, and anti-inflammatory effect in the brain.
- Liposomal Magnesium L-Threonate – the yummiest way to get your magnesium! L threonate is highly absorbable and has been shown to increase brain levels of magnesium.
L-tryptophan is converted to 5-HTP in the body, then to serotonin and to the hormone melatonin. Serotonin deficiency has been linked to poor sleep, loss of appetite, and depression and anxiety.
- 5-HTP Liquid – crosses the blood brain barrier converting into serotonin in serotonin producing nerve cells.
B vitamins are among the most important vitamins for anxiety and stress.They are often referred to as “anti-stress vitamins” since they help to balance mood and calm the nervous system. When someone is stressed, they burn through B5 and B6 more quickly.
- Vitamin B6 – vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) is utilized in the synthesis of the stress hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine.
- Stress B Complex – this formula offer a comprehensive blend of B vitamins for well rounded stress relief.
Our adrenal glands produce stress hormones (such as cortisol), and can quickly become imbalanced with chronic stress. That’s where adaptogens come in. Research indicates that they help improve adrenal gland function and boost your body’s natural stress response. Our practitioners often recommend rhodiola, eleuthero, astragalus and ashwagandha—in single extracts or combinations.
- Ashwagandha Supreme – helps the body adapt to physical and mental stressors as well as support the restoration of sleep quality.
- Cortisol Manager – formulated with stress-reducing ingredients and botanicals to promote relaxation, help alleviate fatigue, and support healthy cortisol levels.
GABA works to calm over-excitement in the nervous system that can lead to irritability, restlessness, and sleeplessness. GABA increases the production of calming alpha waves and decreases stress-related beta waves in the brain. Among other health benefits, GABA may help reduce stress and anxiety.
- NeuroCalm – promotes the activity of GABA and serotonin, which may help support healthy mood, cravings, and feelings of calm, satiety, and satisfaction.
- GABA Pro Chewables – helps maintain a more relaxed state and better concentration.
People who suffer from anxiety and stress often have a deficiency in omega-3 fatty acids. DHA, a fatty acid found in fish oil, nourishes the brain and nervous system.
- Omega MonoPure 1300 – Supports healthy mental functioning
- OmegaBrite – supports cardiac health, emotional well-being, joint health, mood and eye health.